Sunday, November 25, 2007

Pushing Daisies and Chuck the debate lives on for TV Gal

From TV GAL...

November 19, 11:34 AM

Annafriel_pushingdaisies_240 We don't always agree.

And that's my favorite thing about writing this column. This season I've loved Samantha Who? and some of you can't stand the show. I enjoyed Lost all of last season while many of you just stopped watching all together. When I criticized The Office last month, I felt your wrath. To this day, I still shock people when I tell them I thought Seinfeld was just okay. (Those of you who have been reading me since the beginning know this. To the rest of you, I apologize for the shock.)

To paraphrase Ira and George Gershwin, "You say Prison Break and I say Prison Bust, but let's not call the whole thing off."

Because sometimes I'm not even sure exactly why I like something that I like and, honestly, I often like things I have no business liking. There's no explaining why I turn up my radio every time Britney Spears' "Piece of Me" comes on the radio, why I can't stop watching Private Practice, or why I read US Weekly cover to cover (I say it's for "work," but we all know that's not exactly true).

This long introduction is to brace you for the fact that I still don't like Pushing Daisies (Wednesday, ABC, 8 p.m.). Phew, I feel better just having admitted that.

While I can appreciate why so many of you love the show and the whimsical world it lives in, it's still just not working for me. I thoroughly enjoy Chi McBride's cranky Emerson Cod and the delivery of his dead pan one-liners is the best thing about the show. And I do feel for perky Kristen Chenoweth's Olive Snook and how she pines for Ned (Lee Pace). But here's the thing – I really don't like Chuck (Anna Friel).  I find her highly annoying. Annoying like I-hope-Ned-accidently-grazes-her annoying. I find their whole we can't ever touch romance grating (which is strange because typically that kind of thing is right up my alley).

With every episode, I can't really find a compelling reason to tune in the following week. The crimes-of-the-week are rather blah and because the whole show comes across as an animated cartoon come to life, I find it really challenging to care about the characters.

But I'm hoping we can still be friends. And I promise to still check in on Pushing Daisies from time to time to see how it's doing and let you know if my opinion ever changes. And I still want to hear what you think of the show. But for now, on Pushing Daisies, we must agree to disagree.

Chuck_240 I've also been keeping up with Chuck (Monday, NBC, 8 p.m.) and I'm totally with you guys. It's a more fun version of Alias with Chuck as Sydney, Sarah as Vaughn, Ellie as Francie (let's hope she never becomes Faux Ellie), and John as Papa Bristow. The show has developed into the perfect fusion of hilarious moments (Chuck's recap of what he would put in his blog will definitely be in this week's quotes) and high stakes where the viewer, on some level, believes the characters in the opening credits are in danger. The stakes will have to be raised at some point (I'm thinking by season two somebody in the opening credits will have to be a goner) but for now I'm truly enjoying the show. I plan to spend December catching up on any Chuck episodes I may have missed.

What do you think of Chuck and Pushing Daisies? Bring it on. I can't take it. Post your comments below.

No comments:

John and Dave talks Oscar nomination predictions