Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Guilded Age


More Guild awards.

Along with all the movie writing honored by the WGA (and covered in yesterday's blog entry -- see below), they also managed to make time amidst all the marching around in a circle to recognize some fine writing for television.

The list of nominees is too long for a lazybones like me to bother cutting and pasting here, but you can see them by clicking on this listing at The Hollywood Reporter site.

Among the shows that I have enjoyed and championed over the past year, I'm very glad to see multiple nods directed at "Mad Men" and "Pushing Daisies." The HBO show "Flight of the Conchords" was a complete treat and one that I haven't praised enough. The Animation category is packed to the Gils (joke) with episodes from "The Simpsons." I'm sure even now someone on the net is telling anyone who will click that those episodes aren't as good as this or that one from 1992. And, interestingly, the category has no slots for either "Family Guy" or "American Dad." I imagine Seth MacFarlane is already preparing a pop culture reference non-sequitur to put the WGA in its place, strike or no.

On the other side of the street, I still don't get the continued kowtowing for "The Sopranos." Guess I never will.

The WGA Awards are scheduled to be held on 9 Feb 2008, if the writers don't picket them in the kind of deliciously ironic surprise twist that only a screenwriting pro could devise.

No comments:

John and Dave talks Oscar nomination predictions