Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sets, Lights and All Sorts of Fun Things!


I'm usually not one for wallowing in nostalgia, but I'll dip my pinky toe into the nostalgia pool every once in awhile. I'll be moistening my whole foot come June 3 because -- as reported by those Canadian Pop Culture Americans at tvshowsondvd.com -- that's the day when the good folks at VSC will be releasing "The Complete Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show."


It's full of goofy good humor and unapologetically silly slapstick and I loved it when I was watching on Saturday mornings back in -- Oh Lord -- 1974. Someone please put me on an ice floe.

For those of you who aren't 136 years old like me, The Hudson Brothers, Bill, Mark, and Brett, were a pop music act and variety show hosts back in the dark days of the 1970s. Their summer-replacement primetime show only ran for five episodes, but it was retooled for kids and played for a year on Saturdays, with reruns the following year.

Bill Hudson might be known to some of you as Kate Hudson's father (he was married to Goldie Hawn for about a year and a half). Mark Hudson went on to be a late-night show bandleader and songwriter of some note. He worked with Aerosmith on Just Push Play and cowrote "Livin' on the Edge." And then there's Brett. Hi Brett!

"The Razzle Dazzle Show" will look exceptionally primitive to modern eyes and I'm not sure what my reaction to it would be without the nostalgia appeal. Most likely, it would make my modern eyes roll.

Too bad. It's genuine, good-natured fun and includes a puppet emu and a guy in a bear suit. What more is there to entertainment?

Now when can we get "The Complete Bonkers?"

No comments:

John and Dave talks Oscar nomination predictions